Discipleship I felt was a huge part of this past week. This was my absolute favorite camp of the summer hands down. We showed up knowing it was a family camp but we weren’t aware of our responsibilities. We found out we were staying with some of the teens in the dorm. We were in charge of playing the worship for the teen services of Corse. We found out that we weren’t really in charge of any teenagers really but we were able to hang out the whole week non stop with the kids. Everyday’s schedule looked like this, breakfast at 8am then morning activities at 10:30am. These activities were something for me personally to have a lot of fun with the kids and build a great relationship with them through simply having fun. At noon was lunch, the meals were an excellent way for me to build great relationships with the kids as well…possibly the best time of the day to do so. I really enjoyed this camp so much because we were able to hang out with the kids on free time so much. Free time hang outs are a huge part of ministry with teenagers. The next thing after lunch was the teen’s service in the teen tabernacle. The services started out rough, the kids weren’t giving us much response whatsoever. As the team (the worship band for IWU that I’m traveling with) played the worship the kids were barely even blinking. Doing my job by using my crazy character, I ran up and jumped around and encouraged the teens to go crazy and express themselves. At first, in the beginning of the week they were hardly responsive to worshiping God; by the end of the week just about every teen was jumping and shouting for the Lord at the services. After the service we had supper at 5pm and from there the night service with the whole camp adults and all. Following the night service we had night games with the teens then we headed to bed where we had devotions then slept.
I felt the best ministry was brought out of the teens services. Through these services I did everything within my power to show these kids that I was a fool, surely a fool for Christ. My goal was to help the teens feel better about themselves and to know they wouldn’t look the dumbest in the room if they were to praise God with all they had. I was also able to give my testimony to the teens in one service, for this I went all out doing it in the middle of the music portion of the worship…that way it would strongly encourage them to be all they could or Christ and immediately express it through going crazy during some songs of praise. It was explosive and I felt like it truly bursted the kids to a whole new level for the rest of the week. Through these services I was also able to pray and encourage kids as well. The other part of ministry that I felt was the best for me was the free time. Through the free time I was able to disciple kids hardcore, which was great! I was able to build strong relationships with two teenage boys who ended falling in love with Gods word. Both of them bought their first Bibles ever and they seriously could not put them down. I was able to have one on one conversation’s with them able the Lord and reading the Bible, they would ask questions and I was able to help them in that. There was another girl who found the Lord and gave her life to God Wholeheartedly. She allowed me to know that it was because of my example that I lived throughout the week. That was very encouraging. Out and around others in public I was able to sit with her at a one on one level and help her understand some things she should do when she leaves camp such as accountability that found the Lord and gave her life to God Wholeheartedly. She allowed me to know that it was because of my example that I lived throughout the week. That was very encouraging. Out and around others in public I was able to sit with her at a one on one level and help her understand some things she should do when she leaves camp such as accountability and prayer and bible reading. That was a great and very sincere conversation. So many of the teens (just about everyone) allowed me to know that because of me they were changed for the Lord. It was a great week hanging out and helping the kids grow in the Lord. I was able to pray for the big, night tabernacle service for everyone which was a blessing!
All in all this week was full of discipleship and helping teens be stretched in their lives with Christ. The opportunity to hangout and praise the Lord with kids was amazing. I feel like God definitely placed me at Frankfort Family Camp for a huge reason! It was an amazing week!
Hours Mon-Fri Activities 10:30am-12:00pm and 9:00pm-11:00pm
Services 3:00pm-5:00pm and 7:00pm-9:00pm
Personal Reflection:
This week was amazing because I was able to invest my time and character into the teens. I saw teenagers truly surrender their hearts over to the Lord in different areas of their lives. Some became dedicated by being bolder in the faith outside of camp, some dedicated their lives to more prayer, some dedicated their lives to being unashamed in their worship during services and one girl even dedicated her life over to the Lord for the first time. It was great being able to not just help people find God period but to disciple them to get ready to overcome evil with good on their own. The teens were a blessing to hang out with and they helped me through encouraging me with their words by letting me know how I have helped them. I was able to see and discover more things about myself through this camp experience.
Spiritual Reflection:
Spiritually these keep were resurrected in heart for the Lord. I was greatly blessed to see how God truly used my character in order to help the teens grow in Him. Just my simply ways of living were noticed by these people and they allowed me to know that they were deeply encouraged by that. It was hard to get off alone this week due to kids finding me walking to a spot to spend alone and interfering, even when I told them I was going to spend time with the Lord. It was possible yet it was hard. I did have times alone with God but I felt that this week my devotion was pored out into the kids so it was great and encouraging for me. The experience I had this week was definitely what I love!
Youth Director Interview: Ryan Vanmatre – ICD Family Camp
1.) How long have you been in youth ministry for?
4 years
2.) When ministering to the opposite sex what do you find to be the most difficult part about it?
Knowing your limits on how to talk and help them. Being way more cautious.
3.) What is the hardest part about youth ministry?
Connecting with all students.
4.) What is the most fun part about youth ministry?
Seeing students turn around. Seeing kids being dedicated to the Lord over top of their other priorities.
5.) What do you find is the best way to help teenagers grasp a message?
Each student gets an outline of the message. Something to physically take home with them.
6.) What is your greatest success?
Starting a discipleship group. Being able to mentor students.
7.) What is your greatest failure?
Not being cautious enough on looking into big events involving the teens-things that will only uplift them.
Sunday, July 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow you are so right on about discipleship and spending time with teens. You have really encouraged me to remember that looking cool is never an objective!!
ReplyDelete