Saturday, July 4, 2009

Report #4

This week was very relaxing. We were the band for the teenagers at Chambers Wesleyan Family camp. The weeks schedule was at 9 am we run the service for the teenagers through worship song and through speaking. The service would end at about 10:30 am, and then following that was field games until about 12 pm which helped out and ran. The whole afternoon was free to hang out with kids all the way until 9 pm where we had an after glow for the kids which we were also in charge of.

Saturday night we played an hour long concert outside for the teenagers and who ever else wanted to come. On Sunday night I was placed to speak Monday the very next morning. I spent an hour or two throwing something together for a kick off message for the week since I had such a short notice. The following morning at 9 am the first service was started and I gave a 20 minute message on not playing any more games on God and how the week was going to encourage them to get serious. The message went very well. Everyday was about the same. The same schedule was laid out for each day. We had a different person from our IWU team speak each morning and we helped lead the worship through song. My main excel was in the games and the free time with the teenagers. It’s hard to explain this past week because we had so much free time. I used as much free time as I possibly could to poor into those kids. Throughout the week on my free time I played soccer for about 2 to 3 hours, volleyball for about 3 hours, a water balloon fight mixed with a mud volleyball game for about 3 hours, and helped the teens make their own designed shirts for about 3 to 4 hours. I helped out with the night games by being spotters for certain games like mattress hunt in the dark and Mission Impossible. My favorite night out of them all was Friday night. I hosted a root beer float eating race with four teams starting out with straws, graduating to spoons, and then using your hands to see who could finish first. I was on top of the world. While kids were racing I was swinging from the rafters screaming at them! It was so much fun.

On a more serious note, I build a relationship with a kid that, within the second day, opened up to me about some serious issues. With out giving his name, he explained to me his past with abuse and so thoughts of suicide. I did my best to encourage him and pray for him and share scripture with him. I reported it to the director and we sat down with him and helped him in his understandings and encouraged him and prayed for him. That was the deepest spiritual thing that I could visibly see out of this week. The services were services and they didn’t seem to really bring a huge impact but I KNOW they brought a bigger impact than what I will ever know.

Hours Mon-Fri Morning Service and activities 9am to 12pm
Night games 9 pm to 10:30 pm and a lot of free time that was spent with the teens.

Personal Reflection:
This week was very relaxing. We had a lot of time to ourselves to allow our bodies to catch up on rest. As long as my body wasn’t collapsing I was out with those kids. But overall it was great building some strong relationships with some of the kids. Hanging out with the teenagers outside of services and planned games is one of the best times to build awesome, fun relationships. I was able to rest my body and spend valuable time with the Lord so this week was a very good week.

Spiritual Reflection:
I decided this week to fast breakfast because we were less active than usual so my body could take it. I woke up at about 7 am before the rest of my team woke up and I would go spend silent time and prayer, and Bible reading with God for about 2 hours in the morning. I would check my heart and do my absolute best to see that my heart was pure. In those times I did searching and acknowledged Gods awesome wonder by the clouds in the mountains that we were surrounded by. It was an amazing time of me and God loving each others presents! I had a few really good times of fellowship with some guys from the other IWU team that was at the same camp for that week and we encouraged one another and prayed for one another. This week has been eye opening to me because I have had the time to spent sincere time with the Lord in the midst of my ministry. It’s been very refreshing!

Youth Pastor/Youth Director Interview: Alex Ruffer Youth Director of Chambers Family Camp

1.) How long have you been in youth ministry for?

Almost 5 years

2.) When ministering to the opposite sex what do you find to be the most difficult part about it?

Not being able to be physically close. Not knowing how far it is to be to close. Following up effectively is hard; someone else needs to do it and not me.

3.) What is the hardest part about youth ministry?

Feeling powerless to help. Not seeing ongoing transformation.

4.) What is the most fun part about youth ministry?

The ongoing challenge of trusting and growing in the Lord personally. Seeing new grow, people drawing closer to God.

5.) What do you find is the best way to help teenagers grasp a message?

Being able to apply things as soon as possible. Strong application for them to do.

6.) What is your greatest success?

Knowing that I myself have sought out Gods will and have been faithful to the Lords calling in my life. Also connecting with parents and family through teens.

7.) What is your greatest failure?

Forgetting my family, they come before ministry. I fail when I place ministry before my family.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Trevor! Where is that camp? You're by mountains?!? Wow! that sounds like so much fun. I'm glad you got to rest in the Lord this week and be rejuvenated for the coming weeks. Keep up the good work, when we get back to school I'd love to hear more about your summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trevor, it is so good to hear that you are taking time out to really hear from God. Your an encouragement to me, you really are. Keep it up. Hope you next week is good for you.

    ReplyDelete