Camp Director Interview: Kraig Cabe Camp direct for FCA camp
This week was very laid back. Definitely the most laid back week of the summer. The week’s camp was for Fellowship of Christian athletes at Indiana Wesleyan University. It lasted from Monday through Wednesday. We didn’t do any counseling; we as a worship team were simply in charge of the worship through songs for 160 teenagers. Are consisted of waking up…breakfast wasn’t mandatory since we weren’t doing any counseling and making sure we were set up, practiced and ready to go for the service at 1:00pm. This week for the services I was in charge of all the tech. stuff. I did power point and videos and pictures throughout the service. This week I stretched myself by being behind the scenes because that was where I was placed. I felt a whole new side of ministry this week through that. They had afternoon games called competition. We as a band weren’t mandatory to go to those either but they encouraged us to. I showed up to all of those in hope to build relationships with the kids. My job didn’t rub shoulders with the kids at all so I took every opportunity I could to talk with them. At competition I met a few teens but not to strong of relationships were built. At lunch and supper I was able to get away from my team and sit with some kids by myself, which was the best one on one time I had with kids this week. They did their own things that didn’t involve us as a band at night time so I was unable to connect with any teens at that time either. Our main job was focused around the songs for worship. During an ice cream social one night I gained a decent relationship with one boy and had the best one on one talk with him about living for the Lord. To be honest this camp was so relaxed and so short that I felt that my ministry was very limited. I did feel that I help the teens worship strongly through power point; I even got some compliments on how people liked my power point. Through this week I feel like I helped the staff see someone who can do there best in the Lord no matter what the job is. The staff were really appreciative of my small works and really uplifted me by complimenting on my heart in doing behind the scene things.
Hours: Monday-Wednesday 1:00pm-2:30pm service
3:00pm-4:30pm activities/competition
Personal Reflection:
This week was a little too workless. I didn’t like how I didn’t get to hang out with the teens. I didn’t build any great relationships with any of the kids. I found out how much I like to be involved. I did more behind the scenes work and that truly helped me humble myself done in order to help people worship from a whole new perspective. In general the week was simply ok. All the girl wore incredibly short shorts and were kind of flirty so that was something that only wanted me to have the week end. The kids were fun to play games with and the worship continued to pick up as the days went by. I just felt like not near as much was done spiritually that could have been done but at the same time I do this the camp truly helped the teens become stronger in their faith. Personally I wish I could have been more involved.
Spiritual Reflection:
Spiritually I felt that some of the teens were pretty mature in their walk with the Lord. I don’t know how much growth I saw in the kids specifically because I wasn’t connected enough with them to see that. For me I truly stretched myself by being a behind the scenes man. Working the power point was different for me because I am usually in front of the teens doing all the seen things. By doing tech. stuff it showed me a whole other side to ministry and it helped me humble myself in knowing that these kids would be able to worship as well if it weren’t for me getting the words on the screen. Spiritually I grew through doing quieter ministry. I am used to being loud and rowdy but in this I was able to allow myself to not need all eyes on me in order to help people see Christ. It was pretty cool. So through that my spirit was exercised in a whole new way.
Camp Director Interview: Kraig Cabe
1.) How long have you been in youth ministry for?
10 ½ years
2.) When ministering to the opposite sex what do you find to be the most difficult part about it?
For the most part I can’t directly be involved. I find somebody else I can trust to sit in and handle it. I’m responsible for finding staff to take care of needs and that is hard to focus on.
3.) What is the hardest part about youth ministry?
Funding the ministry. Relying on people for money. Seeing kids that know the right answers and just don’t care.
4.) What is the most fun part about youth ministry?
Seeing kids really get it…understanding how much God loves them or the worship. Seeing their gifts tie with Christianity.
5.) What do you find is the best way to help teenagers grasp a message?
Not just teach biblical principles but read it straight up. Have them read it. Also, Illustrations that are complex.
6.) What is your greatest success?
Remaining very basic yet very deep. Fundamentals yet deep in the faith. And remaining faithful to our mission.
7.) What is your greatest failure?
Determining if their sex is male or female. I have messed up in the past where I accidentally mistaken a girl for a boy and that didn’t help.
Friday, July 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hey!
ReplyDeleteSounds like you had two pretty awesome but opposite weeks! It's neat to hear that God is using you in so many different ways. God doesn't always call us to what is natural or fun for us to do and it sounds like the tech/behind the scenes stuff was that for you. Be encouraged to know that God used you. He used in ways that you don't even know. Eating meals with the kids could have opened doors and planted seeds that you don't even know about! Isn't that awesome!