This week was so stretching. We were at Joy El Day Camp. Caught off guard, my team and I were surprised with working with elementary kids aging from 5 to 10. The incredibly tiring week ended out like this…
The schedule was we woke up at 8 am for breakfast, had an immediate meeting and at 9 am met our campers in the gym. From there we started out our hectic day. I was in charge of six 6 years olds and 0ne 8 year old. Each day we were placed with the same schedule with different afternoon activities. It was my responsibility to make sure these guys had fun and were safe, making it to every activity. The days would all start out with a skit at 9:15 am; along with the skit was a short tie in message. From there we had group games at 9:30 am. For these games I made sure all my kids were participating and having a fun time. 10 am we memorized our verse for the day. 10:15 am we had activity one, our first assigned activity. The activities varied from archery to pool to water slide. Missions and chapel time started at 11 am running straight into lunch. The discipline of these kids was really tough during these times. The whole job was like being a parent for 7 hours. At lunch it was my responsibility to make sure the kids ate everything and drank enough water. Activity two started after lunch which ran straight into activity three so this was a really fun time for the kids. After these activities, we had Bible study time. I was in charge of putting together a Bible study for these kids each day. I would sit them down and we would learn about Jesus. That led directly into Canteen. Canteen is snack shop. This was one of the hardest times of the day to keep a good eye on my kids. From 2:45 pm to 3:15 pm we had group game and group review where the game tied into a lesson. From there we got their stuff together and they left to doors for home by 4 pm.
After these long, draining afternoons we were put straight to work on some camp jobs in clean up. We did much service stuff like cleaning bathrooms and trash duties. These lasted all the way until supper. Supper we could finally sit and just simply eat. After supper we attended a staff meeting which led straight into Junior High Chapel. We as the worship team had an 8 pm chapel for the teens to play for so that went all the way until 9ish pm. Then we could finally have freedom until bed time. This is the day in the life of the past week for me.
In the long run, I saw an amazing mountain moved from a 6 year old in my group. The very first day this little guy immediately began crying and continued throughout the whole day really wanting his mommy. This little boy was broken. That night all of us staff prayed sincerely for him. Our prayers were strongly answered. He came in the next day completely different! His whole attitude was changed and he was able to enjoy himself and not even think on home. It was great! Also I was able to talk with another 6 year old of mine who simply couldn’t put his faith in Jesus because he couldn’t Him. He didn’t know enough about Jesus to believe in Him. I was able to sit down and have great informational conversations with him on Jesus and Faith. By the end of the week he didn’t put his faith in Jesus but he knew a lot more about Jesus from our conversations. The greatest victory this week was my little buddy Glen. Glen is a 6 year old with a rough home life who accepted the Lord into his heart this week!!! Glen was an awesome amount of joy with funny stories and a great character. After having a great one on one conversation with him I was able to help him find the Lord!
Hours Mon-Fri
With campers- 9:00am to 4:00pm
Camp work- 4:00pm to 5:30pm
Night Chapel- 8:00pm to 9:00pm
Personal Response:
The work was a little much to be honest. It was draining, tiring and exhausting but in the end it was all worth it. I didn’t mind how much I was being used or drained as long as I was helping kids draw nearer to God. A few times I snapped due to the craziness of the kids. It definitely stretched me in a healthy way. I was physically exhausted by the end of every day. I was happy I was being used so much yet I also wanted a brake so much. We didn’t get much of brakes. Honestly this week was tough but I fought it and found the right solutions and did my best to keep my heart calm, right and pure and fought of a lot of frustration. Sometimes the frustration did get the best of me but I fixed it all in the end. By the end of the week I had found out all my campers really enjoyed me and that I had really, truly helped them.
Spiritual Reflection:
Spiritually I was super stretched. I was stretched to my thinnest point and further. I am not gifted with younger kids but I am willing to give it my all. Through the kids and there actions I was caused to see new weaknesses in myself that I had never known before. I was FORCED to suck it up, taken some struggles and draw nearer to God in ways I had never seen in my life before. I was strongly humbled and I learned so much from working with such a young age group. I learned how to truly rely on the Lord for physical and emotion strength. I had one really good strong time with God this week. It’s so beautiful out here in P.A. so I have beautiful sky sites and mountains and it’s been so awesome to look out and see how God has worked. By the end of this week I felt that I had learned a whole knew outlook on the term servanthood.
Youth Pastor Interview: Aaron Meredith Youth Pastor Needmore Bible Church
1.) How long have you been in youth ministry for?
8ish years
2.) When ministering to the opposite sex what do you find to be the most difficult part about it?
Allowing my wife to handle a lot of it. Have to be careful of what other people could think when talking to the opposite sex.
3.) What is the hardest part about youth ministry?
Always having to find new spiritual stuff to capture peoples attention.
4.) What is the most fun part about youth ministry?
Discipling people then seeing them doing leadership later on.
5.) What do you find is the best way to help teenagers grasp a message?
One thing is movie clips. Every 10 minute I try to have something different. Another thing; Small groups to discuss things at the end. Power point for visuals. Lastly, keeping a theme for every message not getting off topic with it.
6.) What is your greatest success?
Mentoring a man and seeing him go into the ministry.
7.) What is your greatest failure?
Burnt out feeling where I don't feel like doing anything else anymore and not involving others in my ministry.
Saturday, July 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment